Brief History of the Council for Templar Advancement for the Fourth Division
The First Year of Mention of CTA’s and “ZONES”, i.e., Divisions was 1936. 1937 was the first year for Divisions in Ohio and started with 9 Divisions. The Fourth Division started with 11 Commanderies in the Division, they were as follows; Lancaster No. 2, Chillicothe No.8, Calvary No. 13, Athens No. 15, Ohio Valley No. 24, Garfield No. 28, Scioto No. 35, The Rose No. 43, Ironton No. 45, Jackson No. 53, Logan No. 78 Ohio has changed the number of Divisions six times since the inception of Divisions. Four years after the creation of Divisions it was decided to expand the number from 9 to 11 Divisions in 1941.
This saw quite a shake up in the Fourth Division and required a move of five Commanderies to the Fifth Division. The Commanderies that moved to the Fifth Division were; Lancaster No. 2, Chillicothe No.8, Garfield No. 28, Scioto No. 35, Logan No. 78 . Marietta Commandery No. 50 which originally was assigned to the Fifth Division was moved to the Fourth Division. The Fourth Division had seven Commanderies until 1943 when another change occurred. The State went from 11 Divisions to 10 Divisions in 1943. There was, of course, more moving of Commanderies that year. 1943 saw New Lexington No. 57 being moved from the Tenth Division to the Fourth Division and Logan No. 78 was moved from the Fifth Division to the Fourth Division making nine Commanderies in Division Four.
Thirteen years passed before the next change. 1956 the Grand Commandery decided to go from 10 to 12 Divisions. 1956 Lancaster No.2, Chillicothe No.8, and Scioto No. 35 was moved from the Fifth Division to the Fourth Division making seven Commanderies in Division Four. Also in 1956 Calvary No.13, Ohio Valley No. 24, The Rose No.43, Ironton No.45, and Jackson No.53 was moved from the Fourth Division to the Eleventh Division. Two years later in 1958 the Grand Commandery made yet another move, it went from 12 to 10 Divisions. This saw the move of Ohio Valley No. 24, The Rose No.43, Ironton No.45, and Jackson No.53 all of which was moved from the Eleventh Division to the Fourth Division making eleven Commanderies in Division Four.
There has not been another change of the number of Divisions since the year 1958. The Fourth Division has been a powerhouse in membership numbers since. It is the largest Division for members in the Grand Commandery of Ohio with a membership of just under 1700 members. The Division takes in 13 of the 88 counties in the State. The Fourth Division did lose one Commandery to extinction. In 2002 The Rose No. 43 merged into OH Valley No. 24 making ten Commanderies in Division Four which is how it stands as of June 1, 2009. Just a note, in 2004 No. 43 was assigned to Covert Commandery which STARTED UNDER DISPENSATION, that Commandery is located in Withamsville, OH in the Third Division.
COMMANDERIES IN THE FOURTH DIVISION AS OF 2009;
Lancaster No. 2, Chillicothe No.8, Athens No. 15, Ohio Valley No. 24, Scioto No. 35, Ironton No. 45, Marietta No. 50, Jackson No. 53, New Lexington No. 57, Logan No. 78